Constitution for the Scandinavian Association for Thoracic Surgery.
As approved with amendments at the general assembly in Copenhagen
August 22th 2008
1. The name of the Organization is Scandinavian Assiciation for Thoracic Surgery, (SATS).
2. The overall purpose of the association is the advancement of thoracic surgery in the Scandinavian countries. The association shall hold scientific meetings and support research and education. There are two annual meetings under the auspice of SATS:
1. The main annual SATS meeting in August
2. The annual meeting The Scandinavian Society for Research in Cardiothoracic Surgery (SSRCTS) in february.
3. The official language of the association is English.
There are 4 categories of memberships: active, honorary, retired, corresponding and additionally there is a company membership.
Active members are thoracic surgeons and cardiothoracic anaesthesiologists of any country. Every active member at the age of 65 years or at the age of retirement will automatically become a senior member. Senior members do not pay the membership fee. Honorary members are distinguished persons as may be deemed worthy of this honor by the board of the Association. Corresponding members are thoracic surgeons from other European countries or from countries abroad, who have been active in the Association and elected to be corresponding members by the board. Candidates for active membership of the association apply simply by writing to the secretary-general, who decides if the application is acceptable. The membership fee is set by the general assembly. Members not having paid their fee for three consecutive years will be removed from the membership registry. In order to achieve special congress fee the yearly fee must be paid two months before the main annual meeting.
5. The Board of the Association consists of two members from Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark and one from Iceland. One member from Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark are appointed by the national societies and one elected by the General Assembly of the Association. The Icelandic member is appointed by the national society. Board members are elected for 3 years and can be reelected twice. The secretary-general is an additional member of the board and is its chairman. The secretary-general is elected at the General Assembly for 3 years. He can be reelected once for a period of 3 years. The President of SSRCTS is elected by the board of SATS for 3 years and can be reelected. He also is a full member of the Board. The editor of the Scandinavian Cardiovascular is a member of the Board, but has no voting rights. The secretary-general takes care of all the activities of the Association including the economy. He also appoints representatives for specific tasks within and outside of the Association. The nationality of the secretary-general rotates between the Scandinavian countries.
6. There are 2 annual meetings of the association. The SATS main meeting is normally held in the last half of August and the SSRCTS meeting normally in February. The place of the SATS main meeting rotates between the countries. The city and the meeting place in each country must be accepted by the secretary-general and the General Assembly. The General Assembly takes place during the annual meeting. The General Assembly selects a President for the next main meeting, place and time of the meeting at least two years in advance and suggest main topics for the meeting. The President of the annual main meeting sets up the organization committee in agreement with the secretary-general.
7. During the annual meeting of the association the annual General Aassembly takes place. The agenda shall include at least the following items: Report by the Secretary-general including members and finances, report by the President of the annual main meeting, report by the President of SSRCS, report by the editor af the Scandinavian Cardiovascular Journal, future meetings of the Association and other items.
8. The scientific programme of the annual main meeting is made by the Scientific Committee of SATS. The Scientific Committee consists of the secretary-general, who is chairman, and 1 member from
9. The educational committe shall organize courses for Scandinavian trainees in thoracic surgery. The committee and its chairman shall be appointed by the secretary-general who is also a member of this committee.
10. These by-laws may be amended by the General Assembly (with 2/3 majority) provided that the amendments have been sent to all members of SATS at least 4 weeks prior to the annual main meeting.